North Devon Adventure Golf Westward Ho!

The village name comes from the title of Charles Kingsley's novel Westward Ho!. The exclamation mark is therefore an intentional part of the village name. It is the only such place name in the British Isles, although Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!, Quebec, shares the distinction of having an exclamation mark in its name.

Westward Ho! is known for its surfing seas and the long expanse of clean sand backed by a pebble ridge which extends for about three miles, and keeps the sea back from Northam Burrows, a large area of sand dunes and grassland, home to a rich variety of birds, insects and wild flowers. Horses and sheep graze on the Burrows, which are also home to the Royal North Devon Golf Club, the oldest golf course in England and Wales. Holidaymakers and locals alike enjoy bathing, surfing, canoeing, and kite surfing - just a few of the sports available. The South Western Coastal Path runs through Westward Ho! and the Tarka Trail is close by - a must for cyclists and walkers. Other amenities in the village include the arcades, go-kart track and  two churches, Westward Ho! Baptist Church and The Holy Trinity Church.The seaward part of the village lies within the North Devon Coast Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

A railway served Westward Ho! from 1901 to 1917. The Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore Railway was a standard gauge railway which ran between these places, but had no connection with the rest of the railway system, however there was a ferry link from Appledore to Instow which was connected to the rest of the rail network of Britain. The trackbed is used as part of the South West Coast Path. First Devon and Cornwall bus service 1 and Stagecoach service 21 run between Westward Ho! and Barnstaple every 15 - 30 minutes.